Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 5: This too shall pass

Well, Chad and I finally made it to church today. During the school year we teach kids' Sunday school, so we're usually preparing for that and skip church. And during the summer, we're taking a break from teaching Sunday school, so we slack and rarely make it to church. :)

Today's message was a message of radical hospitality. Basically helping everyone and offering your time and talents to do what you can to welcome people.

It was a good message, but what touched me more was Gina Pemberton's song. I'm not sure of the title, but it centered around the thought that God never gives you more than you can handle and that "this too shall pass." My grandma always told me that "God never gives you more than you can handle." Of which I reminded myself every time I ended up with poison ivy growing up. Never failed, at least once a summer I would get poison ivy. As I sat there soaking in epsom salts and oatmeal and trying my best not to scratch, I would think, "God says I can handle this."

As a grown-up, there are more serious issues to deal with than poison ivy, but the message still resonates with me. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who need them, especially those dealing with the gulf oil spill.

Happy rainy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment